Welcome to 2018!
Another year has whizzed by. Did you invest wisely last year? Were you making progress financially? If not, here are a few tips to help make 2018 count.
- The first step is to get your finances in order, if they aren’t already. Make sure you have a budget that keeps track of your income and expenses.
- See if you can make any improvements. Are there any expenses you can easily cut? Do you pay regular subscription or membership fees for things you don’t use? Make sure you’re not wasting your money. Ask yourself if it’s time to ask for a pay rise.
- Pay off any debts. If you do want to borrow in the future you’ll want a clean credit history, so don’t let anything slip past the gatekeeper. Do your taxes. Pay off your credit cards (or even better, get rid of those you don’t really need). Settle any other outstanding loans, fines etc.
- Make sure you have a regular savings plan in place. Any future lender will want to see a reliable savings history, so keep that in mind.
- Reassess your major regular outgoings. This includes insurances, telecommunications, electricity, and of course, your mortgage payments. Many companies offer better deals over time so make sure you aren’t sitting on an old contract at an uncompetitive rate. Look around, negotiate and get yourself the best deals possible. It makes good financial sense to get in touch with your mortgage adviser at least once a year to check whether you could be getting a better deal.
- Now for the fun part. Set some goals! What do you want to do with your money this year? With the right advice, taking out a loan can help make your money work better for you. Do you want to buy a home, renovate or buy an investment property? Perhaps you’ve been thinking of diversifying your current investment portfolio? Have you always wanted to start a business (make money doing what you love!) or expand your business?
- Give your Smartline Adviser a call today to find out what you can afford to borrow. It costs you nothing to have a chat and you might find out that you actually can do what you’ve always wanted.
Good luck and all the best for a happy and healthy 2018!